Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Expectations

Hi my name is Chelsea and I have high expectations. 

I recognize that I have high {at times unreasonable} expectations...I expect adults to act like adults, sick kids to get better and life to be fair.  I expect people to follow through and friends to be reliable.  Part of the reason that I am this way is because I have amazing people around me who fulfill these expecations. 

Over the past three years I have learned a lot about my expectations and I have to laugh at the expectations I had before I was married.  When I was younger, I expected to be married young, have babies, stay at home, and have a husband who worked 9-5 and came home to dinner on the table.  This is rather amusing because, as the oldest of five, I have always been independent and ambitious.  When Jared and I started dating, I expected we would build a marriage that we would be proud of but that we had done most of work already.

Many of my expectations have been exceeded.  I have a husband who loves me unconditionally and treats me like his partner in crime.  He respects my need for independence and gives me opportunities to take charge, but brings me down when I start to float away.  And really, what's better than a boy roommate?!

Even though these areas have blessed my life, I have also learned a lot about my expectations.  I have learned that hospital schedules rarely match, communicating with a boy can be tricky and it's great to not have to be responsible for everything.  This team is better than I could have imagined. 

Expectations are important and should be valued.  But those expectations can sometimes limit experiences and leave life just a little less exciting.  Thank you hubs for your love and for embracing, meeting, and exceeding my expectations in this crazy thing called marriage <3


Do you have high expecations?  How do you balance expectations with real life?

No comments:

Post a Comment