Friday, May 24, 2013

Schedule - Schmedule

Given my love for books -- my time at the Child Life Conference did not disappoint!  I was introduced to numerous books that I cannot wait to get my hands on!   One of the books that I ordered as soon as I arrived home is entitled, The Busy Life of Ernestine Buckmeister, by Linda Ravin Lodding. 


This is a must have for any parent who values play!  Children today are not given the opportunity to imagine, create, and explore.  Instead, to much for their time is scheduled with various activities and high expectations.  This book explains how Ernestine was able to get to the important stuff like rolling down a hill, building a treehouse, and explore with her friend.  When children are not able to play outside, explore their world, and interact with others their cognitive, emotional and social development is impacted in a negative way. 

One of my favorite childhood memories is playing with my siblings and cousins in our treehouse or creating a new world on the ridge behind our house.  What is your favorite childhood memory?  And, if you are a parent, how do you ensure your children have the opportunities for this kind of play in the busy world of schedules? 

No comments:

Post a Comment