Monday, August 18, 2014

Life Lessons :: Nap Time

We can all agree nap time is important...even essential, but one thing that seems to be quickly forgotten is the stress that develops when your little one misses a nap {or three} during the day.  Lately, when it comes to sleep, I have become obsessed.  It consumes my mind. I am constantly thinking about who is getting sleep, when it's time for more sleep and what if there isn't enough sleep to be had - not just for the baby, but for me and my husband too.  And when something doesn't go as planned in the sleep department, I find myself becoming anxious because I know the trouble that will eventually come without it. 

But my stress and anxiety are not only laughed at in the real world, but often completely ignored.  How do these amazingly successful parents around me forget the stress that comes from lack of sleep?  They don't forget, they just don't care and I know because I was there two months ago with nieces, nephews, cousins, friends' babies...the list could go on.  It is exciting when a baby is awake and even more exciting when they coo, smile or interact.  Plus the greatest part is that no one but me and my husband are responsible for the consequences, everyone else can go home to their comfortable beds and get into a deep enough sleep to dream.  Am I jealous?  Of course!  Would I have it any other way? Not a chance. 

So if you have a sleeping baby and I see you in public or stop by for a visit please know I will not speak a word and I will probable move very slowly {with a slight bounce} in fear that somehow your peaceful little one will sense me and wake up because she is to nosey to stay asleep.  I will be cautious and understanding until one day when my own sweet baby doesn't cry to fight sleep or require five naps a day, then I will most likely forget the stress of sleep and actually consider touching your sweet, sleeping baby's foot to show my sense of awe!  Until then, I will put sleep on a pedestal and give it the respect it deserves.



What has my life become that sleep is one of the biggest stressors in it?  Signing up for this mommy club is one of the easiest things I have ever done, maintaining my membership, however, has certainly been one of the hardest.

No comments:

Post a Comment