Wednesday, December 17, 2014

How To Have A Happy Baby

At the beginning I told myself and everyone else that my baby required a very strict schedule to be happy.  This was a schedule I had found to be effective and clung to for a sense of control in an otherwise chaotic situation.  I researched sleep studies and feeding schedules.  I read blogs from other mom's about their own schedules and means for creating a happy baby.  I was determined to take back some control.

But then my mom gave me life-changing advice that has stuck with me...

"why make it any harder on yourself"

My ah-ha moment!  Being a mom is hard enough, I don't need to add anything else on top of this already stressful job.  So I stopped worrying about the sleep blogs, schedules and extra work.  I assume my child will not go to college still nursing so I feed her whenever she wants.  I trust that {at some point} she will sleep in her own bed so I welcome her in mine when she needs it.  And I have enough clothes and blankets for the week so that laundry can be done fewer times.  

By focusing less on my need for a schedule, I can better understand her cues and work to meet her needs to grow and thrive.  After all, she already knows what she needs to be happy, which makes her the perfect teacher.  

Plus less time researching what makes a happy baby leaves more time to enjoy the happy baby right in front of me...I mean just look at those cheeks!





No comments:

Post a Comment