Sunday, January 4, 2015

Dirty Little Secrets of Parenthood

Did you ever hear the saying, "there are no new stories, only new reactions" {or something like that}?  The point is that stories repeat themselves, but our reactions and feelings about those stories are unique.  I have found this to be true for motherhood...the stories and experiences I share are not new, but my take is unique to me as a person.  The bizzarre stories and experiences of parenthood are familiar to all parents, while the unique reactions keep the dialogue fluid and interesting.  

From this understanding came a new idea - a post {once in awhile} of the dirty little secrets of parenthood.  Everyone can relate when the secrets are shared, but for some reason we often stay silent.  Perhaps it's societal pressure or a personal desire to feel competent, however, it can be isolating and often leads to even more unrealistic expectations of perfection.  Plus it's funny to read something that you have thought of or done yourself.  Parenthood no longer feels lonely and your thoughts and experiences are normalized.

So without any more babbling from me, here are the first three {anonymous} dirty little secrets...

"I threw away clothes like I threw away diapers.  If it had poop, blood or puke on it it was going in the trash.  I didn't even try to wash it"
-mom of three, ages 26, 24 and 20

"Even if my legs haven't been shaved for three weeks, I still feel like a lady when I wear sexy undies"
-mom of two, ages 3 and 1

"If I need a break from our toddler and newborn in the evening I tell my husband I have to poop - that seems to be the most respected escape and I can take my phone, a book, even some snacks and hide out for a good 30 minutes"
-mom of two, ages 2 years and 1 month




No comments:

Post a Comment