Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Imagine me...

One of the most wonderful ways to consider future plans and goals is by doing the "Imagine Me..." activity.  In this activity, I prompt the patient to close her eyes {if she is comfortable} and consider her life in 5 or 10 years.  I ask her to think about the environment, the people that are present, and the items she sees.  I then give her various modalities to create a piece of art based on the scene she envisioned.  After the patient has had enough time to create her piece, I ask her to share as much or as little as she wishes.  If she should choose to share, we then discuss potential goals to make that desire a reality. 

Patients often choose to share and tend to be excited about the potential to work toward a positive creation of their imagination.  At times, I will encourage patients to add goals that could be started in the hospital or that relate to their treatment plan {if appropriate}. It is important that patients have the opportunity to see success early on.

This activity has been successful with chronic patients, older school age patients, and adolescents.  I have also used it with children who have just received a new diagnosis to help assess misconceptions and potential grief.

This activity can be a wonderful way for adults to look at life and future goals...

 
 
 
How life has changed in 5 years!  I wouldn't change the experiences I've had or the people I've shared them with.  Now to "Imagine Me..." in 5 years?  10 years? 20 years?
 
 
 
Where do you imagine yourself in 5 years? 10 years?


No comments:

Post a Comment