Tuesday, March 25, 2014

What's your love language?

Gary Chapman is known for one of his great works where he teaches about the 5 different love languages in which individuals experience and express love.  I highly recommend his book The 5 Love Languages:  The Secret to Love that Lasts for couples.

This book discusses each love language in detail and provides readers with the opportunity to take a quiz to determine his or her own love language.  It can make a huge difference in a marriage.  For example if I show love through spending time with my husband, but he feels most loved by me making him dinner there would be a breakdown in communication and I may leave him feeling unloved without even knowing it. The 5 options include:

1. Words of Affirmation
2. Acts of Service
3. Receiving Gifts
4. Quality Time
5. Physical Touch

My top two are physical touch and words of affirmation, which is no surprise to my friends and family {I tend to have very little personal space}.  You can find your own love language here and there is also an option to learn about your child's love language.  

Children need to feel loved so they can feel valuable and learn to love others, but when their love language is not being spoken a child may feel neglected and alone.  If, on the other hand, a parent or caregiver speaks the child's love language, she is more likely to feel confident, successful and valued.



Do you know your primary love language?  What about your child's love language?

No comments:

Post a Comment